hema navigator

Submitted: Sunday, May 22, 2011 at 18:33
ThreadID: 86480 Views:2848 Replies:10 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
g'day
has anybody else had probs with a hema navigator, i've had the fifth unit and still can't get to where i want to go
from home[central coast] set to go to dubbo shortest route, took me all the way to singleton to turn onto golden highway, 52k's longer than i uaually go via broke, then 30k's out of dubbo told me to turn left i think the farmer wasn't expecting guests. got to dubbo despite the rotten thing, next morning set it to go to griffith, directed me past the turn off to griffith, wanted me to go via narrendera 2hrs extra, i turned at the turnoff and it kept telling me to turn back, when i got into town and found the motel it finally agreed with me that we had made. next morning i punched in an address we needed to go to
but got smart and got a town map it directed us everywhere else but there and when i parked at the front door it told me to turn back
the only thing that stopped me from throwing it onto the road and driving over it was the dollars i spent buying it. i rang and told them i want my momey back they refused am taking it furtherI HATE THIS THING WITH A PASSION
all i'm saying if your thinking of buying DON'T buy a paper map and ask for directions it will be quicker. sorry to rant but am angry
rick
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: ABR - SIDEWINDER - Sunday, May 22, 2011 at 18:54

Sunday, May 22, 2011 at 18:54
Welcome to the Hema hate club.

I too am VERY unimpressed. Mine runs R66 what software is in yours, I heard they changed it.

Regards

Derek

AnswerID: 455149

Follow Up By: Shaker - Monday, May 23, 2011 at 11:21

Monday, May 23, 2011 at 11:21
The latest series use IGO for street navigation.
FollowupID: 728160

Reply By: Warren B - Sunday, May 22, 2011 at 19:08

Sunday, May 22, 2011 at 19:08
wish you had of posted earlier bought mine friday, read the instructions we haven't asked it to tell us where to go yet but seemed to know where on the road.hope it works i'm a map man but swmbo likes the idea of getting lost buy electronics ( she says she feels safer ). guess we'll find out in a few days when we leave for the corner country, birdsville. Incidently bought the hema cause its meant to be the best.
Cheers warren
AnswerID: 455150

Follow Up By: dieseltojo - Sunday, May 22, 2011 at 19:40

Sunday, May 22, 2011 at 19:40
Hi, I am not a Hema hater, but it is not the easiest thing to learn. And ozi explorer takes a lot of getting used to as well.
But at Hema, they certainly are not helpful as regards a question if you are in trouble. This is what I emailed them last week, and their answer.

Hi, I have a Hema nav, but not the very latest one. Mine must be the second edition. Can I load co ordinances onto the Ozi Explorer 4wd section so I can then go to that area?

Answer;
Yes you are able to do that. For further information consult the ozi explorer user guides under the support section of our website.

I have since found out how to do it, but to tell you "just go and read the manual" is absolute rubbish.
I am not impressed.

FollowupID: 728113

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Sunday, May 22, 2011 at 21:44

Sunday, May 22, 2011 at 21:44
Hi Warren

You will find that most people that buy the HN5 do so for the ability to do more that just city navigation. Put it up against any other street navigation unit out where it is meant to be used and it will eat the others for breakfast, they are a fantastic unit.

With the Natmap series as well as all the Hema Great Desert Series of Maps, plus other areas that are covered Hema, you will not fault the unit. We have used ours in many remote places and could not fault it in any way.

How many units on the market can show you this type of accurate navigation, with full map details out along the Anne Beadell Highway..??

Image Could Not Be Found

Rest assured, you will be more than impressed with the HN5.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 728131

Follow Up By: Warren B - Monday, May 23, 2011 at 08:39

Monday, May 23, 2011 at 08:39
Hi stephen, thanks mate i didnt buy the Hema for city work bought it for outback etc, nice to know it works out there. what we hope to use it for is the co-ordinates from camps 6 and also the very road ( highway !! ) you indicated.

Cheers Warren
FollowupID: 728150

Follow Up By: MEMBER - Darian, SA - Monday, May 23, 2011 at 09:09

Monday, May 23, 2011 at 09:09
Ditto - we use Route 66 occasionally, but don't rely on it for vital street nav (just as well, according to hi-end street nav users :-o).... but the mapping for regional and outback travel is wonderful - works a treat - we save our favourite spots on the overlay with comments, as we go - all stored up for later.
FollowupID: 728154

Follow Up By: TTTSA - Monday, May 23, 2011 at 16:47

Monday, May 23, 2011 at 16:47
Howdy all, I never bought a Hema to start with. Too much money for what it is in my eyes, However my $85.00 unit, delivered to my door for that came loaded with Igo 8, 12/240v charger plus more, Ozi loads onto it, plus all hema maps etc. Can't fault it and shows exactly the same as a HN5, the 6" version is about $20.00 dearer. Can't fault it.

Peter
FollowupID: 728181

Reply By: Notso - Sunday, May 22, 2011 at 19:34

Sunday, May 22, 2011 at 19:34
A good mate here in Forbes bought one about 10 months ago. It has never worked as claimed, won't connect to his computer. The only bit that ever worked was the rear vision camera.. It's been back to the Service mob, and he currently has it in his vehicle heading to the place in QLD that handles em to try to get his money back!
AnswerID: 455153

Reply By: Member - Old Girl (QLD) - Sunday, May 22, 2011 at 19:35

Sunday, May 22, 2011 at 19:35
Forget that 66 thing we have a navman for city . We use Ozi Explorer as a moving map. Its great. Easter in a 4x4 park I tried the Topo memory map. Thing I found with this device is the more you use it the more you realise what it can do. It has all the little off road tracks we like.
AnswerID: 455154

Follow Up By: Member - Ralph K (WA) - Sunday, May 22, 2011 at 20:38

Sunday, May 22, 2011 at 20:38
Buy a 7" TwoNav
Rather a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 728117

Reply By: Member - Julio C (VIC) - Sunday, May 22, 2011 at 20:57

Sunday, May 22, 2011 at 20:57
Santa got me one for XMAS....... I dont like Santa anymore
AnswerID: 455160

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Sunday, May 22, 2011 at 21:02

Sunday, May 22, 2011 at 21:02
Rick,

Don't blame the Hema for one of the dodgy applications on it.

I gave a review on the Hema when I first bought one and Route 66 was very ordinary.

Well guess what. Route 66 is not alone.

I have just gone through a navigation exercise where I am giving routing instructions to a group of friends to a holiday home on the Murray River.
I drove the route in daylight last weekend.
After recording the co-ordinates, I have since tried creating a route on my trusty TomTom. No bloody go. It told me I had to use the ferry at Morgan which put me on the other side of the river from where the holiday home is. If I chose not to use the ferry it directed me towards Blanchtown, then a 30 kilometre trek on an unsealed road.

I gave the co-ordinates to my mate who has a Garmin and who came up with a similar result.

I then dusted off my Dell Axim PDA and fired up CoPilot Live 8.
The lovely Jessica (CoPilot's Aussie voice) told me the correct route along the Morgan Road, then turning off to the right along the river to our exact destination.

I have not used the PDA for a couple of years due to the purchase of the Hema (for remote navigation using OziExplorer) and the TomTom Go 720 which until now has been great.

The result: CoPilot Live was the only one out of the three that gave the correct, accurate result, even though the software and maps are over two years old.
The TomTom has the latest maps for Australia loaded and my mate's Garmin is about two months old.

So, it is the crummy application (Route 66) on the Hema Navigator, rather than the unit itself that is the problem. It is more than likely the "mapsource" that each device employs to calculate the route.

What can be derived out of this?
Do not trust your navigation device to necessarily give you the correct routing information.
If the result doesn't "look" right, it probably isn't.

I have previously praised CoPilot Live for it's intuitive navigation capabilities and only upgraded to another device due to the PDA not having a built-in GPS and the small display screen for OziExplorer use.
Unfortunately, CoPilot is now only available for use on smart phones.
Having said that and as a result of the exercise explained above, I have now installed CoPilot 8 on my iPhone as a "backup" to my previously capable TomTom Go.
Oh, and I have renewed my love affair with the PDA running both OziExplorer and CoPilot Live. (Or maybe it was just Jessica that I have missed).

Bill.

Another point I will make is in folk choosing a device (like the Hema) for both country navigation (aka OziExplorer) and City navigation (Route 66) and expecting the world from both.
Both applications can only be run separately. You must shut down OziExplorer if you wish to run Route 66 (or its more recent replacement).

My PDA can run both applications concurrently, with the ability to swap back between applications without closing one or the other and losing track data. This is achieved via GPSGate which allows the GPS input to be shared amongst multiple applications.

In my opinion, folk will be better served by having two different devices.
One for voice guided city navigation.
One for country wide moving map navigation.

Bill.
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 455161

Reply By: Member - rick g (NSW) - Sunday, May 22, 2011 at 21:58

Sunday, May 22, 2011 at 21:58
g'day
route 66 really sux like i said this is my fourth unit replaced as all previous ones failed in think the guys name is graham he has been helpful but he was away when i rang about this unit, i didn't get a chance to use it at cape york as it had already failed, i am interested in other types if someone can guide me to better systems, i have a garmin gps and am getting a navman with hema maps
hopefully i get to where i want to go in the best/shortest poss route
rick
AnswerID: 455172

Reply By: Gone Bush (WA) - Monday, May 23, 2011 at 00:19

Monday, May 23, 2011 at 00:19
This might be an option:

Uniden 5" Navigator

OziExplorer

Street Nav

Good price

I'm glad I ain't too scared to be lazy
- Augustus McCrae (Lonesome Dove)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 455183

Reply By: Ozhumvee - Monday, May 23, 2011 at 07:36

Monday, May 23, 2011 at 07:36
Route 66 is totally useless, the real downfall of the Hema Navigator.
That is why it is far better to buy a no name GPS with screen size of your choice that runs Windows CE as the operating system and Igo 8 as the turn by turn nav program. Very user friendly and in over five years ours has only led us astray once and that was partly due to a new road being constructed. Typical prices start from around $100 and go up to under $300 for a 7" screen.
If you then buy the Hema DVD with all their maps on it, copies of Oziexplorer and Ozi CE you then have the equivalent to a HN for far less outlay.
AnswerID: 455191

Follow Up By: TTTSA - Monday, May 23, 2011 at 16:52

Monday, May 23, 2011 at 16:52
Well said Peter, exactly what we have done and never had any problems, well untill I accidentally stepped on it, replaced it with a 6" version.

Peter
FollowupID: 728182

Reply By: Member - Terrence B (WA) - Saturday, Jun 18, 2011 at 23:11

Saturday, Jun 18, 2011 at 23:11
Mate apart from Route 66 being hopelessly out of date by about 2 years - my major issue is the HN5 dies on me. Started off brand new last year, and just a few months old on the Holland Track the battery or charging system failed and that was that - not exactly dependable !! The support people were very helpful and swapped unit for a nice new one. NOW here we go again - the new HN5 has just experienced power fail too and is now DEAD (in a different car too so can't blame the vehicle).
So Monday I will be sending it back AGAIN. As I say, NOT dependable, and I bought the thing to do desert treks. Obviously i won't be forgetting the good ol paper maps !!
AnswerID: 457850

Sponsored Links